Steffanie Wandall , 2009-2010 Chair
The mission of the Education Department is to promote lifelong learning, raise awareness of low literacy among many adults and youth; and to foster and support educational opportunities in our community.
We did many great projects this year including:
- School Supplies – In September and October we delivered boxes of school supplies to Mort Elementary and MOSI Partnership Elementary. Both are Title 1 schools with 91% of the student population economically disadvantaged. Both schools were thrilled!
- Dr. Seuss’s Birthday
- Breakfast with Santa -On the mornings of December 14 and 15, 2009, The NTJWC hosted Breakfast with Santa, an ongoing annual event, at Mort Elementary School . More than 20 women volunteered over the two days, along with a volunteer from University Community Hospital , who escorted Santa, and Troy Jansen of Jansen Dance Project, who taught a holiday Hip-Hop routine to the 241 energetic, giggling Head Start and Kindergarten-aged children. Each class was served breakfast and given a coloring book, a goody bag and an opportunity to hug and greet Santa individually. Children arrived in the cafeteria wearing reindeer hats bearing the children’s first names. The New Tampa Junior Woman’s Club considers this project one of their most endearing and provides Christmas to dozens of needy families in conjunction with the event.
- Imagination Library
- Costumes for Education
- Makeover at MOSI – Kids in Charge
- Scholarships for Hillsborough Education Foundation
- NTJWC Lifelong Learning Scholarships
- Teacher Appreciation at Mort
- New Tampa Regional Library